Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Road (Journal 5)


Dear Cynthia and Alexia,

As you may know the mother leaves the son and the father. She states that she can no longer live that way. Do you agree with this decision? Would you have done the same thing? I think that if the mother would have been there with them things would have been a tad bit different. Maybe it would have been harder because then they would need more food to gather and more blankets to cover each other with. But I also think that maybe the sanity between them would have been there. The conversations that the boy has with his father are the shortest weirdest conversations. They don’t talk how we would with our parents nowadays. The way they talk is usually with just two words. The conversations they have makes the tone in the book to be more depressing. But even though they have little or no conversations at all you can tell that the father loves his son. As I was reading Alexia’s comment she states that the father saves his son his favorite food just for him. I thought that was sweet. Also when the father only has one bullet left and they are running away from the bad people, if you read carefully you can see just how much the father really loves his son. The father tells the boy to take the gun and if he doesn’t come back then to put it in his mouth and point up. It was obvious what he was telling him, he was saying to kill himself so that the bad people wouldn’t get him and eat him. I guess it’s true what they say, actions do speak louder than words.
(I’m done with book)


Sincerely ,
Ana Hernandez

2 comments:

Alexia Rodriguez said...

I actually got confused on whether it was before or after everything had happened. If it was before everything then they just had problems they could not handle anymore, well her at least. If it was after everything then she must have had an “amazing” plan to survive everything the boy and his father are going through right now on her own. If she would have stayed with them then yes they would have had to find triple the food, blankets, etc. that they are finding right now. The dad thinks of his son first which is good but also bad, good because he doesn’t want the boy to have to worry about anything and bad because he needs to stay alive just as much as the boy because he is who is keeping the boy alive. He’s the one that feeds him, gathers food, keeps him safe, etc., but we can’t help that his father instincts come in. I would have done the same thing, told my child to kill him self if I didn’t come back at a certain time, in the books situation, because I would rather have him kill him self and feel no pain than to have to feel pain while the cannibals are torturing him and keeping him a live so they can keep their meat fresh. You can tell how much they love one another even though they don’t always say they do. You don’t have to say or hear I love you in order for you to know it just as long as they show it. If you were in their shoes do you think you would survive or die that very same day out of exhaustion, hunger, insanity?

Sincerely yours,
Alexia Rodriguez

Cynthia T said...

WOW! I mean that was my reaction when I had read this chapter. It’s so funny because, so much is reviled in this chapter. It’s funny because you really see how all the secrets are reviled and how all the gaps are filled. You finally learn everything. As Ana was saying in the chapter you get to know about the mother. I honestly don’t think leaving her family was the right thing to do, I mean come on your suppose to stick with family “no matter what”. If it was me I would have stayed with them, maybe the mother could have helped the family and increase there chance of survival. She possibly could have helped with supplies, helped them gather them. My main deal here is the fact that she is supposal the mother, I really think she should have walked out on her family I think she should have done something more helpful. Also in this chapter you really do as Alexia said see how much the father loves his son. I mean that part really touched me; I really felt the emotions coming from the book. I really felt what the author was trying to portray. I really felt it, and it was sad what the father had told the son, which is basically to kill himself. The sad thing was there was really no other advice he could have given him in that situation, I mean I would have told him the same thing.