Thursday, November 8, 2007

Homework 16- Education- Kids Punished for Protesting about War


I agree that the students should be punished because of their protesting, but also they shouldn’t. I agree on both sides of the story. All I have to say is “Ok let’s get honest, the war has been going on FOREVER, and these kids haven’t had protests until now and for what? Just to get out of class? Was it to interrupt? To be rebels? Or was it to be cool?” I’m pretty sure their intentions fell under one of the listed reasons. I don’t believe these kids were trying to do anything except interrupt the school and get out of class. But then again they do have rights. We have the right to have freedom of speech. But see they shouldn’t be punished so harshly. Maybe for them to be expelled was crossing the line. I think that putting them in detention will be fine. I say put them in there for ten days, that ought to shape them up. If you’re going to do protests then you’re, one way or another, going to get consequences, good or bad. And you as a responsible person are going to have to face them. If these kids where so bold to do a protest in front of the school then they should be bold to take in the punishments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/us/07protest.html?ref=education

1 comment:

Darwin E said...

I agree with Ana for the most part. I do believe that the people who went for the sake of skipping school should be punished, but there's no definite way to sort those out from the people who had true beliefs. Either way, I also agree with the noted fact that these people protested after the war started a very long time ago. I can't remember a time a school walkout really worked