Thursday, November 8, 2007

Homework 17 Technology- Robot soldiers?


When I finished reading this I was a bit shocked. Robot soldiers? What are they thinking? These people are crazy to even think about creating such a thing. I think this is an idea that will go extremely wrong. There are too many “what ifs.” For example, what if these robots kill each other, or what if they start killing people because they don’t know whether to distinguished bad from good. The people from the Pentagon already talk about these things and say that they will program the robot so that it won’t do these things, but, even so, it still doesn’t make me feel at all safe. They explain that these robots will not forget their orders, they won’t worry about the other robot next to them that got shot, and they won’t be afraid. This has been the Pentagon’s dream to create these robots. But I say no, fighting in war is a real man’s job not for a robot. Robots will fail; we can’t put trust in them. We can always put trust in man to fight for us in wars. They might fail but at least we won’t be worried about them killing the humans that they are fighting for.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/16/technology/16robots.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

1 comment:

Lilian D said...

I do agree with your feedback and your reasoning. I do believe that a war is a man war, but I will happier if one of my family members would be replace. Any family would cry for the robots, but the robots might fail in war. They might be useful for a hard job, and I will never be afraid of losing a member of my family. The robots can help us and can also turn back to kill us. I wouldn’t be against building soldiers robots.